The Joy of...Condensed Milk

I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before.
I've written about tea and bed and Lidl and stopped there. But, after seeing this recipe for a homemade version of the stuff, I felt I had to do another 'Joy of' post about this sweet, sweet ambrosia.
When I think about condensed milk, I think about the drinks I had in Cambodia - fluorescent concoctions simply called sirup (the French 'syrup' and pronounced see-ro) which were made with a shot of bright syrup and condensed milk and swirled with ice. Diabetes on the rocks but worth every sip.
Condensed milk was sometimes a part of Cambodian breakfasts too - white baguettes were slathered with the sweet stuff as a hyperglycaemic start to the day.
I also think about the way you can boil a can of condensed milk for hours until it transforms into liquid gold - thick caramel that can be used for banoffee pie or millionaire shortbread (of course you can buy tins that have already had that done for you).
Then I think about salted caramel ice-cream - one of the easiest and most delicious recipes involving condensed milk (or rather the boiled version of it) which is oh so good sandwiched between wafer oysters.
I think about the tablet and fudge you can make and the way you can decadently drizzle it on porridge.
I think about how it is sold in precise 397g tins and toothpaste-like tubes.
But of course when I think about condensed milk I think about what is probably the best way to enjoy it - spooned straight from the tin like it was yogurt. Or, if feeling brave, using your finger to scoop up remnants from a used tin, careful to avoid being sliced by its edges.
My mouth is actually watering now thinking about the joys of condensed milk - I don't know why I haven't done it before...

Mmm, condensed milk...photo pinched from here.










Comments

Popular Posts